PRESS RELEASE: October 15, 2017, Cabarete, Dominican Republic – The 21st Dominican Republic Jazz Festival, presented by FEDUJAZZ and the Ministry of Tourism, will host six nights of free concerts recognizing music, culture and the arts beginning in Santo Domingo on October 29, and from November 1 – 5, 2017 in Santiago, Sosúa, Puerto Plata and Cabarete.
Celebrating a rich history spanning over twenty years, the Dominican Republic Jazz Festival welcomes internationally acclaimed artists such as the GRAMMY Award-winning trumpeter Brian Lynch, vocalist Kim Nazarian, Grammy-nominated trombonist William Cepeda, and Brazil’s Trio da Paz. Trumpeter Sean Jones, saxophonists Marco Pignataro and Geroge Garzone, clarinetist Anat Cohen, and Fefita la Grande, the most prolific and respected female merengue accordionist of the Dominican Republic, along with many others, will also take the stage.
The 2017 Dominican Republic Jazz Festival honors the contemporary global dimension of jazz, with each night dedicated to a different country. Maria Elena Gratereaux, Executive Director of the Dominican Republic JazzFestival coveys that “In this new edition of the Festival, we present jazz that unites, that connects us, and sends a message of faith, joy, peace, and union among all people.”
Festival Date, Show Location, Country Dedication
Sunday, October 29, 2017 – Santo Domingo, Plaza España, 8pm – Dedicated to France
- Big Band of National Conservatory of Music of Santo Domingo Featuring Alain Mallet (Dominican Republic, France)
- The Jazz Ensemble from Paris Conservatory Featuring Riccardo del Fra (France)
Wednesday, November 1, 2017 – Santiago, Centro Leon, 8pm – Dedicated to Argentina
- El Eco with Guillermo Nojechowicz featuring Marco Pignataro, Brian Lynch, Helio Alves, Kim Nazarian & Fernando Huergo (Argentina, Brazil)
- Rafelito Mirabal & Sistema Temperado (Dominican Republic)
Thursday, November 2, 2017 – Sosúa, Amphitheatre Hotel Casa Marina, 8pm – Dedicated to Israel
- Javier Vargas and Atre (Dominican Republic)
- Roni Eytan Quartet (Israel)
- Anat Cohen with the Berklee Global Ambassadors (Israel, USA)
Friday, November 3, 2017 – Puerto Plata, Independence Park, 8pm – Dedicated to Brazil
- Guy Frómeta Trío (Dominican Republic)
- Trío da Paz (Brazil)
Saturday, November 4, 2017 – Cabarete Beach, 8pm – Dedicated to the United States
- George Garzone with the Berklee Global Jazz Ambassadors (USA)
- Sean Jones (USA)
- Brian Lynch (USA)
Sunday, November 5, 2017 – Cabarete Beach, 8pm – Dedicated to Puerto Rico, Italy & DR
- Marco Pignataro “Almas Antiguas Quartet” featuring Alan Pasqua, Adam Cruz, Ehud Ettun (Italy, Puerto Rico)
- William Cepeda (Puerto Rico)
- Fefita la Grande and Special Guests (Dominican Republic)
The Dominican Republic Jazz Festival is sponsored by companies including Jet Blue, Brugal, Berklee Global Jazz Institute, United States Embassy, Lifestyle Holidays, Sea Horse Ranch, Cibao Recycling, Casa Linda, Gratereaux Delva & Associates, Millennium, Viva Wyndham Tangerine, Amhsa Marina, Gansevoort, Banco del Progreso, Israel Embassy, Centro León, Reef Condos, Villa Taina, OK Motors, VH Hotels – Gran Ventana, Blue JackTar, and Emisora Raíces, among others.
All Dominican Republic Jazz Festival shows are free and open to the public, with VIP tickets and priority seating available for purchase. Proceeds of VIP ticket sales benefit FEDUJAZZ, the music education foundation of the Dominican Republic Jazz Festival.
FEDUJAZZ provides free music education for the youth of the DominicanRepublic. Currently, there are one hundred students attending classes at the foundation’s center in Cabarete. Throughout the festival, free music workshops and master classes for local children and FEDUJAZZ students are held at each concert location, led by the renowned international musicians participating in the festival.